Spell Flickr

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thing #22 Social Networking

My profile is on Facebook.

1. Why is it important that educators know how social networking works?
We need to know how it works because our students and coworkers are using social networking and we need to prepare our students to use these tools and we need to be able to relate to them and our fellow educators.  We need to take advantage of the endless connections and resources that social networking provides professionally, educationally, and personally.

2. What new insights did you gain about these popular sites? 


I found Facebook to not be as scary as I thought it would be. Now I see why my daughter is on Facebook so much.  I didn't realize that it was more than a "glorified email site".  I was surprised to find facebook pages for sports, media, institutions, TV shows, etc. 

3. What did you like or dislike about each of the sites you explored?

Like:  I can search for friends that I haven't heard from in a long time.
Dislike: I am still not 100% comfortable about the security issues.  I am uncomfortable with the fact that when I connect to a facebook page, I felt like I was eavesdropping because I didn't know the person, only the institution.
I didn't like the ads.

4. Which site had the most useful features?  

I liked Facebook's "Discover Facebook Pages" feature.  I could find Facebook Pages for so many things, connecting me to related websites.

5.Can you see an educational application for any of these sites?

There is a wealth of research possibilities in using Facebook Pages.  Facebook provides teaching resources through connections with friends or other websites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment